Introduce transparent and accountable governance practices in the self-governing city of Batumi by fostering the effective use of legislation on Freedom of Information and enhancing citizen awareness about civic engagement.
- In-depth analysis of existing Freedom of Information legislation and practice to identify systemic and competency challenges that hinder access to public information; Conduct a comprehensive analysis of existing legislation on Freedom of Information and practices to identify those systemic and competency related challenges that impede access to public information;
- Enhance the capacity of civil society actors, as well as Batumi City Hall and City Assembly staff, besides, carry out an advocacy campaign so as to encourage demand for public information and foster informed civic engagement in public policymaking;
- Set up civic initiative groups, comprised of active citizens (including youth), representatives of civil society organizations and civic advisory boards at the City Hall and City Assembly, supporting their civic monitoring, as well as advocacy efforts to address local needs and thus introducing participatory decision making culture and practice;
- Improve a regulatory environment by increasing demand of citizens for information and rising effectiveness of existing legislation and practice on Freedom of Information;
- Develop effective recommendations on the basis of findings from an analysis of legislation on Freedom of Information as well as participatory civic monitoring, and advocate with local authorities for their consideration.
Donors and Partners:
2017-05-01 – 2018-02-01